Contributing Advent 3: Zetacomponent's Mail

Years ago when I was working for eZ Systems I worked on "eZ Components", which then became the now defunct "Apache Zeta Components", and now finally it's hosted on GitHub as Zeta Components. In the last weeks Thomas Bachem has been providing a few fixes to the Mail component. The Mail component in Zeta Components has by far the most extensive implementation of various email, MIME and header RFCs. This allows it to parse almost every mail that is thrown at it. Combined with an excellent POP3, IMAP and SMTP implementation is is the best Mail utility for PHP—and I am not only saying that because I wrote parts of it.

However, just like as many other components in the package, it has not seen a lot of love lately, and its test suite is still using some of the old hard coded email servers that we used to use for testing when still at eZ Systems.

My first patch fixes a few notices that were raised while running the tests. The notices were all through by the following line in the code:

declare(encoding="latin1");

These lines were initially added because of PHP 6 functionality that allowed you to set a character set for each file. As PHP 5 didn't really care, these lines didn't hurt either. However, now PHP supports the line as part of the Zend multibyte functionality, which I hadn't enabled, it started spewing errors like:

Warning: declare(encoding=...) ignored because Zend multibyte feature is turned off by settings in /home/derick/dev/zeta-new/Mail/src/transports/file/file_set.php on line 2

This tiny patch made those warnings go away, but there are still plenty of things to fix left over:

PHPUnit 3.7.10 by Sebastian Bergmann.

Configuration read from /home/derick/dev/zeta-new/Mail/phpunit.xml.dist

....................FS..............F.......F..................  63 / 639 (  9%)
...F.F................F........................................ 126 / 639 ( 19%)
....................................................S.S.FFFFFF. 189 / 639 ( 29%)
.....S......................................................... 252 / 639 ( 39%)
......................F..S.............FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 315 / 639 ( 49%)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 378 / 639 ( 59%)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 441 / 639 ( 69%)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE................. 504 / 639 ( 78%)
.............EEEEE.......E.EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.EEE.E...E......EE.. 567 / 639 ( 88%)
.E......E...E....E.E..F.....FFFFFF....FSSSSSSS........EEEEEEEEE 630 / 639 ( 98%)
EEEEE....


So I've a bit more to do to make this test suite work fine again…

Shortlink

This article has a short URL available: https://drck.me/adv1303-aes

Comments

+1 for keeping the torch burning for zeta components!

Add Comment

Name:
Email:

Will not be posted. Please leave empty instead of filling in garbage though!
Comment:

Please follow the reStructured Text format. Do not use the comment form to report issues in software, use the relevant issue tracker. I will not answer them here.


All comments are moderated

Life Line